Hi! This is the online home of Gabriela Avram.
If you’d like to label me:
The Tipping Point calls my kind of people Connectors; others called us “knowledge brokers” or “boundary spanners”. I get a sort of thrill when it occurs to me that the person I’m talking to seems to have a common interest with someone else I know (or heard of), or could be interested in a particular resource or method or tool I know of.
My different hats:
- I work as a lecturer at the University of Limerick in Ireland, teaching on the Digital Media Design and Music, Media and Performance Technology programmes, as well as the master’s in Interactive Media in UL.
- My research currently focuses on interaction design in urban environments and on the role of technology in supporting civic engagement of local communities.
- In parallel, I am also working on the design of interactive technologies for cultural heritage settings with an emphasis on co-design, as part of the meSch EU project.
- Between 2005 and 2008 I was involved in a project studying collaborative work practices in distributed software development, getting the chance to observe software development teams at work in IBM and to work with an Open Source community.
- I am a member of Creative Communities Limerick and I am currently running the IxDA Limerick chapter.
- During 2014 – the Limerick City of Culture year, I was involved in several made in Limerick projects, such as Are You Dancing?- Remembering the Limerick Dancehalls and Limerick Lace.
- I am a social media enthusiast & early adopter and occasionally provide advice to companies – big and small- on how they could benefit from using social media to their advantage.
September 08 2008 06:12 am